1 lb extra-lean ground beef, or ground turkey
1 tbsp fresh garlic, minced
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 sweet onion, chopped
1⁄4 cup canned diced green chiles,
or 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 black pepper, to taste
- Cook ground beef or turkey and garlic in a nonstick skillet, breaking apart the meat, until well browned. Drain off any fat very well, then return to the pan.
- Add bell peppers and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili powder and cumin.
- Place tomatoes, kidney beans, onion, chilies or jalapeno, tomato paste, and meat mixture in a slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on High until flavors are blended, about 4-5 hours. Season to taste with black pepper.
Per serving: 4 SmartPoint; 3 PointsPlus; 2 POINTS (old)