- 12-16 large scallops (3-4 per person)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. butter
- Salt & Pepper
Ingredients for Carbonara:
- 8 slices of thick cut bacon diced (I try to find bacon with less fat, or cut away excess fat)
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic (leave whole)
- 4 green onions
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 cup parmigiano reggiano grated
- fresh ground pepper
- pasta of your choice (I used Linguine, but most recipes use Spaghetti)
*Start water boiling for pasta.
*Oven on warm
Pots required: large pot for cooking pasta, skillet for frying bacon, garlic and shallots, skillet for pan searing scallops, large bowl for combining pasta and sauce.
- Blot scallops with paper towel to remove any water. Salt and pepper.
- Heat large skillet, add 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Make sure skillet is hot before adding scallops but not smoking.
- Add scallops leaving plenty of space between. Overcrowding the pan will drop the pan temperature and cause scallops to steam rather than sear. (may have to do in batches)
- Sear for about 2-4 minutes or when bottom is a nice golden brown. Don’t move them around in the pan or you will prevent them from forming that nice brown crust. After a couple of minutes have peek under to see if golden brown.
- Turn to sear other side. (about 1-3 more minutes)
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter to pan now.
- Spoon the melted butter over the scallops as the other side finishes cooking.
- Transfer to paper towel covered plate.
- Keep warm in oven.
- Start cooking pasta.
- In small bowl mix together cream, egg yolks and 3/4 of cheese.
- In large skillet cook bacon until crisp, add shallots and 1/2 green onions.
- Smash down garlic clove a bit, add to bacon. (remove prior to adding pasta)
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain well, then add to skillet of bacon.
- Toss well, then transfer to large bowl.
- Add cream mixture to pasta and combined well. Make sure pasta is still hot in order to cook the eggs and melt the cheese.
Arrange pasta on plate, top with seared scallops, add some fresh ground pepper, grated parmesan, and green onions.