1 Tbs butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/3 green bell pepper, minced
1/2 large yellow onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs tomato paste
2/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup water
1 Tbs brown sugar
1 tsp yellow mustard
3/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1/4 tsp black pepper dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Heat butter and oil in large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add beef and brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain.
- Add onion and bell pepper to same skillet and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until fragrant.
- Add beef back to the skillet and add tomato paste. Stir well.
- Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder,
Worcestershire sauce, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cook over MED heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened.
- Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns.